Hello Mehmaan, if you reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second to Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. You will get access to latest CRICKET VIDEOS, HIGHLIGHTS and much more!
BCCI bans five players after corruption probe
Welcome to the Cricket Forum | Cricket Talk | CricGossip.
The BCCI's disciplinary committee has banned five Indian domestic players after studying a report on allegations of corruption against them. The allegations had arisen in May after India TV carried out a sting operation which alluded to five players being involved in match-fixing and negotiating for extra - and illegal - pay.
The harshest punishment was dealt to Madhya Pradesh fast bowler TP Sudhindra who was handed a life ban after being found guilty of accepting money to spot-fix in a domestic game. Uttar Pradesh fast bowler Shalabh Srivastava will be out of the game for five years after the committee deemed him guilty of agreeing, and negotiating terms, to fix a match though no fixing eventually took place.
Three other players were given one-year bans for bringing the game into disrepute through "loose talk and unsubstantiated bragging": Madhya Pradesh batsman Mohnish Mishra, Goa offspinner Amit Yadav and Himachal Pradesh allrounder Abhinav Bali. The punishments take effect from May 15, the date on which the IPL governing council suspended them.
The report had been compiled by Ravi Sawani, head of the BCCI's new anti-corruption unit, after India TV's sting. Sawani spoke to all five players before submitting his report to the BCCI disciplinary committee - which comprises BCCI president N Srinivasan, BCCI vice-presidents Arun Jaitley and Niranjan Shah - on June 9. The committee which met in Mumbai on Saturday said neither Sudindra nor Mishra would be entitled to the monthly gratis, benevolent fund, benefit match or any other facility, nor could hold any position in any cricket association affiliated to the BCCI for the period of their bans.
India TV, in mid-May, had showed footage of a player bowling a big no-ball in a limited-overs match and played a recording of a phone conversation that it said was of a current IPL player negotiating a fee for bowling a no-ball. It also had at least three players on camera allegedly seeking more lucrative IPL deals - including extra money that would have violated their IPL contracts - with other league franchises through an undercover reporter posing as a sports agent.